Monday, May 5, 2008

Eight Belles

I read this article, which was a bit of a surprise to me...it's from a mainstream sports reporter, and yet it seems to call into question the way animals are arbitrarily commodified, particularly in horse racing, and specifically in light of the tragic death of the filly Eight Belles at the Kentucky Derby. The only issue I have with the article is that he seems to think the universal condemnation of Michael Vick, after he tortured and murdered several dogs, had to do with a kind of general social need to feel superior. So...what? So people only care about animals because it offers us an opportunity to feel superior? That seems nutso to me.

That "moral superiority" question comes up a lot in discussions of veganism, and I think it's a moot point. Sure, if you're an ethical vegan, you're acting on an ethical and moral principle, and that's very admirable. Are all vegans morally perfect in every other respect of their lives? Of course not. I don't know a single vegan who was motivated to action by a need to feel superior. For the most part, it seems to be about health, because caring about animals smacks of "caring" a little too much for people of my generation. But many of us really do care about animals. Especially if we are capable of thinking. And reaching conclusions in the process.

OK, that was snotty. But I'm not sorry! See? Unrepentant snottiness! I'm not morally perfect!

I really thought people were outraged about Michael Vick because he was engaging in a totally despicable activity which hurt and killed a lot of dogs. I think people are often powerfully affected by the mere sight of a horse, and seeing them in agony from a racing-related injury legitimately affects people on an emotional level. I also think that once the initial shock of notorious incidents like Barbaro, Eight Belles, Michael Vick, or the Hallmark Meat Packing plant fades, people are confronted with some pretty uncomfortable questions. About animals, and their rights, and whether we should be doing what we're doing to them.

Anyway, I think horse racing should be stopped. Also, dog racing. Also, meat-eating, and puppy-kicking, and animal testing, and egg-stealing, and bee exploitation. And cockfighting. And all other forms of animal exploitation. *sigh*

No comments: