Saturday, February 14, 2009

Coconut-Key Lime Bundt Cake...OMG!


Last night I decided to try the Coconut-Lemon Bundt Cake from the Veganomicon. I made a few modifications, because the lemons I had were no good, and it turned out I was out of flaked coconut. Oops!

So it became a Coconut-Key Lime Cake. But it came out beautifully. Seriously: super-duper delicious cake! It's fine by itself, or with powdered sugar and strawberries. I bet it would be awesome with coconut frosting. Or a citrusy glaze of some kind.

All the cake recipes I've tried from these authors have turned out not just good, but REMARKABLY good, as in "professional bakery good".

With the coconut flakes left out, all I could taste was the key lime. Yum. So, here's my very slightly tweaked version:

You'll Need This Stuff:

1 1/3 cups granulated sugar

1/2 cup canola oil or applesauce

14 ounces coconut milk

1/4 cup key lime juice

1/4 cup rice or soy milk

3 tablespoons finely grated lime zest

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, 1 tsp butter flavor extract

3 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

(The recipe called for 1 1/2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut, which I left out because I didn't have it. But if you have it and you dig coconut, by all means, add it).

a few tablespoons confectioners sugar for topping

Make the Cake:

1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees and oil a 8 or 10 inch bundt pan.

2. Mix in a large bowl the sugar, oil, coconut milk, soy milk or rice milk, lime zest and lime juice together.

3. Mix in another bowl the flower, baking powder soda and salt

4. Mix the ingredients of both bowls together. When it is well mixed you add the shredded coconut, if you happen to have any!

5. Put the mixture into the prepared pan, and bake for 45-60 minutes at 350.

6. Take the cake out the oven and let it cool for 15-30 minutes.

When the cake is completely cool, you can flip it out of the pan and sprinkle it with sugar and messily devour it, because it is wonderful.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have tried the Coconut-Lemon version from Veganomicon, and it WAS a REALLY good cake. I've never had a key lime-flavored cake before, but it sounds incredible. Thanks for the post!