Monday, June 8, 2009

Dang.

My favorite fitness instructor, Cathe Friedrich, has just made it necessary for me to stop supporting her business.

I am on her company's mailing list, so I got this e-mail this morning:

"Cathe will be in New York City on Thursday, June 25th for a media blitz to announce her partnership with Eggland’s Best(EB), America’s No. 1 branded egg, and we would like you to be there too. Cathe and Eggland’s Best will be teaming up to help Americans harness the powerful pairing of healthy fitness and eating right - just in time for summer!"

Curses!! Eggland's Best is pretty bad. They got the Humane Society to sign off on their supposedly kinder, gentler animal cruelty in 2007. The ultimate outcome of all this exposes not only why you cannot trust people who view living beings as products, but also why the idea of "happy meat" is so insane. And also, totally untrue. Oh, and also evil.

Ugh. I am SO BUMMED. I LOVE her workouts! But I HATE animal exploitation! This is harder then avoiding secret milk additives. Of course, the point of having an ethical position isn't to throw it out the window at the first hint of personal inconvenience. If you're vegan, you've gotta skip the latest Cathe DVD release unless she bails out on this partnership...which of course, I don't think she'll do.

Again: dang.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ITA. There's a monster thread on Cathe's forums about this - did you see it? Over 9,000 views, last time I checked! Cathe/SNM responded to it early on by swooning over how healthy the eggs are, then calling vegans a minority who need to be tolerant of the majority view. In-furiating!

Bundle Brent said...

I actually participated pretty extensively in that thread! I didn't care for SNM's response, either. I couldn't believe it when they said that Eggland's Best doesn't actually farm their own eggs - which "probably surprises you".

So...if they just pay other people to stuff chickens in tiny boxes after burning their beaks off, that's OK because they aren't doing it themselves?? Also, vegans are pretty well-informed about factory farming, so actually I wasn't surprised, thanks, SNM. I really tried not to be too attacky in that thread, but it was HARD. Hard, hard hard.