Monday, January 12, 2009

News, and Jenn's Roasted Veggie Chili

I have been in a non-vegan purgatory for the last few months, waiting to find out if soy and gluten interfered with a (necessary-to-live) medication I take. During that time, my diet was very limited and I wasn't even sure I'd be able to continue to be vegan.

I am happy to announce that not only does my vegan diet officially totally NOT interfere with my meds, but I have a series of blood tests that demonstrate how much healthier my vegan diet was! So now I'm very excited to get back to experimenting with new and exciting vegan recipes.

Today's recipe was submitted during my November recipe contest.

Jenn's Roasted Veggie Chili

So the veggies come first. I use what ever looks good in the store or at the farmer's market. Some things that you can use are: Japanese eggplant, red or yellow peppers, squash, zucchini, rutabagas, carrots, onions, tomatoes, parsnips...you get the idea.

Cut them in chunks that are about the same size (maybe about 3/4 of an inch) - you want them to cook at about the same speed. I cut up maybe three or four cups of veggies; as much as you can fit in one layer on a big cookie sheet.

Toss the veggies with some (maybe about 1/4 cup) of olive oil; you want them all to have a little, but not be soaking in it. Throw some salt and pepper on as well. I also suggest putting tin foil on the cookie sheet, as the veggies tend to stick and carmelize a little, and it's a pain to get off. Sometimes I throw a little minced garlic in as well, but that is up to you.

These should go into a 425 degree oven for 40 minutes, and halfway through stir them around a little, as the ones on the edges tend to cook faster than the ones in the middle.

Now throw these veggies (without giving yourself a third degree burn - so let them cool for a few minutes) into a pot on the stove. I add 2 cans of beans that I rinsed (I like to use black and kidney, but its up to you) and two cans of tomatoes. Diced stewed tomatoes with garlic are good, and last time I used one can of those, and one can of Rotel brand with jalapenos, and it turned out well. Also add about 2 cups of veggie stock.

Then come the spices...these depend a lot on how spicy you like your chili. You don't need more salt, as the tomatoes and stock has it, as do most of the Tex-Mex spice mixes. I usually add chili powder or some kind of mexican seasoning mix, and last time I used a packet of Goya Sazon, and then I used some Tex-Mex stuff I got in Texas.

Bottom line is: season to taste. Check the labels, as some of these blends will have spicy peppers, and some won't.

Let it simmer with no lid for at least a half hour, but up to an hour. If all the liquid boils off, then add more stock or just some water (I did that last time and it turned out fine.)

Last step is: enjoy your yum yum!

No comments: