Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Vegan Chocolate Fondue

I have this amazing little vintage fondue pot. It used to belong to my aunt, and I honestly don't think she ever used it, because it came to me with all its parts in their original packaging and looking absolutely perfect:


It's hard to incorporate fondue into our day-to-day lives. It's messy, it's not especially nutritious, and there are not a lot of vegan-friendly recipes. I've used mine as a way to keep soup warm at parties, and...well, that was it, actually, until this weekend! I finally decided to try my hand at vegan fondue.

I decided on chocolate fondue, since it's easy, and chocolate is pretty hard to ruin. The fondue part was easy: I put 2 bags of vegan chocolate chips into the pot with some soy creamer (about 1 cup) and stirred it until it was creamy. I tried it, and it tasted a little too bitter, so I added some agave nectar (approximately 7 tbsp) and a couple of vegan marshmallows. That really did the trick. If you decide to try it, you'll need to add each ingredient slowly and stir gently until it gets to the consistency and flavor you like.

So...what do you use for dipping? Strawberries were an obvious choice, and bananas, and apricots...if it's melon season, those would be good. Pineapple. Some sort of packaged vegan cookie, like these. Or these.


I also decided to make a vegan pound cake, and cut it into little cubes. That worked wonderfully. I used the Vanilla-Yogurt Pound Cake recipe from the Veganomicon, which was not only perfect for cubing and dipping in fondue, but was utterly fantastic by itself.

The fondue was a big hit with vegans and non-vegans alike!

No comments: