Friday, March 21, 2008

All the Things You Have in Common With Vegans

I was thinking about the vegan ice cream and the vegan beer and I realized that a lot of non-vegans probably think they don't have much in common with vegans, but actually, they do.

We all like ice cream. My omni sweetie even likes vegan ice cream, especially Soy Dream vanilla and the homemade chocolate kind I made for a vegan potluck last fall.

Many of us also like beer.

We all love pets!

Some of us like cooking, and some of us prefer convenience foods. Most of us like eating things.

I think everyone agrees that animal cruelty is wrong and evil. The big differences usually seem to be centered around what constitutes "cruelty" and whether it's OK sometimes. But I'd be willing to bet that nobody, vegan or omni, wants things like this to happen. (Warning: It's "Meet Your Meat". If you can't handle the truth, I'd advise not watching. But you should know that they don't even show the worst of it).

Puppies!

Kittens!

Baby chicks!

Shopping without having to scrutinize labels!

Vacations!

Surprisingly, pretty much everyone finds the higher-quality vegan sausages a perfectly satisfying substitute for the dead animal kind. Lightlife's "Gimme Lean", Trader Joe's Breakfast Patties, and all Field Roast products are examples of these alternatives.

Robots!

Monkeys!

Love!

I was going to add "sneezing" to the list, but my omni sweetie insists that I'm the only person who enjoys it, and that it's somehow weird. Hmph.

Presents!

Springtime!

Waking up in the morning and realizing, for whatever reason, you don't have to go to work that day!

Shoes!

Cupcakes!

Any other kind of cake!

People who make and deliver cake!

I've probably gone too far with the cake. Pies!

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens (both totally vegan!!)

Bright copper kettles (vegan) and warm woolen mittens (not vegan but there ARE alternatives)!

I'm sure there are many other things, but that's probably enough for now...

No comments: