Saturday, March 22, 2008

Tofu Scramble, Part 1

I have eaten really excellent tofu scramble in restaurants and it doesn't seem complicated. I mean, tofu is just a food cube. You cut it up, stick it in the frying pan with vegetables and seasonings, and it seems like it ought to work. I have always found it pretty challenging, though, so I decided to try following an actual recipe for once. I chose this one from the Post Punk Kitchen.

Of course, I immediately made several adjustments. I had one 14-ounce package of firm tofu, which I drained thoroughly. I smooshed it up with a fork and added:

3 tablespoons Mirin rice cooking wine
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
And...

This whole can of fire-roasted Hatch chiles. I cut up about 1/4 of a large Vidalia onion and sauteed it in a little olive oil. I added about 1/4 of the tofu mixture (saving the rest for later in the fridge), and while it cooked, I thawed some frozen vegetables.

I added the veggies and a little more paprika, and it was lovely. The tofu still stuck to the bottom of the pan a little (I suspect my pan was too hot), but I have a little trick to fix that. I add a little water and rice cooking wine to the pan and it seems to loosen everything up. So I did that and it was perfect!
I had to add a teeny bit of salt but it was really lovely. Here is Afreet making a play for my delicious tofu scramble:

No comments: