Monday, July 13, 2009

Dogfighting

So, dogfighting. It's evil, bad and wrong. There have been raids on lots of dogfighting rings, but I doubt very much it's enough. Today I read this article in "Unleashed" about over 400 dogs being "seized" during a raid on a multi-state dogfighting ring. This part was the most disturbing:

Many of those arrested in the raids appeared to live seemingly normal lives apart from their alleged ties to the shady world of dogfighting. One man arrested in Texas is a Little League coach; two men arrested in Missouri were a registered nurse and a teacher in a state-run school for the disabled, the Associated Press reported.

The other dogfighting issue that has been on my radar lately relates to the ultimate baddo dogfighter, Michael Vick.

ISAR, the International Society for Animal Rights, started a campaign against Michael Vick when Mr. Vick was released from prison and started working with the Humane Society (HSUS) and taking sensitivity courses with PETA. Here's the gist of ISAR's gripe against HSUS and Vick:
ISAR, along with many others in our movement, has received your “What’s next for Michael Vick” essay. You make a persuasive argument that Vick could, and I repeat could, be a force for good regarding the obscene practice of dog fighting. ISAR’s fear, however, and that of many of our colleagues in the animal protection movement, is that the allegedly repentant Michael Vick is actually the sociopath Michael Vick who is using HSUS to further his own professional and financial goals. Is Mr. Hyde still there, behind the façade of Dr. Jekyll?
I was a little conflicted about this at first. Yeah, I don't trust Vick, and I doubt that anyone who could do the things he did to helpless animals would really, truly change his ways. But I was unsure about the usefulness of this campaign. Yes, I agree that Vick's punishment wasn't fair, but I also know that it was unusually severe for an animal abuse case. I agree with ISAR's position that he shouldn't benefit from his dogfighting crimes. I guess I was unsure about how they would draw that line - if he gains publicity from campaigning against dogfighting with HSUS, does that count as benefiting from dogfighting? And while we're parsing this, is anyone else getting anything like a two-year prison sentence for dogfighting-or any other abuses?

I agree with ISAR's anti-Vick-benefiting-from-dogfighting stance. But. I also find this pretty legitimate:

If he makes the most of it, and demonstrates a sincere, long-term commitment to the task, then it may prove to be a tipping point in our campaign to eradicate dogfighting. If he demonstrates a fleeting or superficial interest, then it will be his own failing, not ours. Our campaign will march forward regardless. It’s up to him, and we at The HSUS reserve judgment until he demonstrates that he’s part of the solution rather than a further part of the problem.

Maybe if there had been an intervention program in Newport News 15 years ago, a young Michael Vick would have grown to love and respect pit bulls, and he would not have done these terrible things to dogs. For me, it’s not about Michael Vick and providing endless punitive treatment. It’s about stopping other young people from going down the road Vick took. It’s about having kids today put down their break sticks and destroy their pit bull treadmills.

So, I guess I'm still conflicted. I still have lots of questions. Like, would this be different if Michael Vick were white? If he were just a guy, and not a pro football player? Would people be more likely to belive that he could learn and change? Since he pretty much HAS to do a bunch of public "mea culpa" work if he expects to have any kind of career, is there any chance that this is sincere? What would he have to do to prove that he is serious about reforming and helping stop dogfighting?

I WANT to crush everyone who participates in dogfighting. Honestly - I kind of think there is something seriously wrong with anyone who can inflict that kind of suffering on a dog, or any other kind of sentient being. But I also want to help people see the error of their ways and start being part of the solution. I used to eat meat, and now I'm vegan. I used to be a pretty thoughtless, fickle, self-centered person and I have broadened my perspective in a variety of ways. Is it fair to assume that others are not capable of making the connection and becoming more compassionate?

Wayne Pacelle, president and CEO of the Humane Society of the United States, said the public can "definitely expect more" arrests and raids, because "dogfighting remains a distressingly widespread activity." I guess that although I'm still trying to figure out where I stand, I should focus on the areas where I AM on solid footing: DOGFIGHTING. SUPER-EVIL. Let's get to work to bring this to an end, by any reasonable means.

No comments: